symlink to /proc/mounts

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed Jan 1 12:25:54 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 08:13:04PM +0100, Andries.Brouwer at cwi.nl wrote:
>     From gerard at linuxfromscratch.org  Wed Jan  1 19:48:16 2003
>
>     > Creating the mtab symlink
>
>     It's been a source of controversy.
>
>     Basically, if your personal uses warrant not using a symlink, then don't.
>
> If the symlink is not necessary for the setup as used by LFS,
> the instruction should be removed or be made optional.

I agree with this statement.

FWIW Gerard, I was a fan of the symlink when it was first introduced. But
now that I've used it for a year or so, and have discovered all the
disadvantages, I've moved back to the old method (or to be more accurate,
I've employed the steps as outlined in the mtab hint - which basically boils
down to a simple modification of the bootscripts)

I believe that in the interests of correctness, it should be the other way
around:-

  - make /etc/mtab a real file as the default method in the book
  - offer the symlink option as a separate hint (noting the disadvantages)

Also, the fact that Andries (the mount maintainer) has taken the time out to
make comment on the issue, well, that says it all for me.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org