symlink to /proc/mounts

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 1 12:46:20 PST 2003

On January 1, 2003 01:25 pm, Greg Schafer wrote:
> I've employed the steps as outlined in the mtab hint - which basically
> boils down to a simple modification of the bootscripts)

Which in turn is basically what the lfs-bootscripts used to contain. Here's an
excerpt from the LFS-3.1 book's mountfs script:

        echo -n "Remounting root file system in read-write mode..."
        /bin/mount -n -o remount,rw /
        evaluate_retval
	echo > /etc/mtab
        /bin/mount -f -o remount,rw /
        /bin/rm -f /fastboot /forcefsck
        echo -n "Mounting other file systems..."
        /bin/mount -a
        evaluate_retval

And there were problems with this which prompted us to use the mtab symlink
instead. Now you guys want to go back to the old method.

Make up your minds please {;o) (just kidding of course)

> Also, the fact that Andries (the mount maintainer) has taken the time out
> to make comment on the issue, well, that says it all for me.

Sure I take it under consideration, just like I do with most everything else.
I'm not going to change the book on a moments notice, not even if Linus
himself comes by and complains about the symlink.

I'm sure Seth will be happy if I finally budge. He's been lobbying to get the
change undone for many moons now.

In the end I don't care. I never had a problem with the old method (aka the
proposed new-but-yet-identical-to-old-one) and I don't have a problem with
the current one. So whatever the majority thinks I guess will just happen. At
this point I couldn't care less anymore.

Poll time?

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org