symlink to /proc/mounts

Christophe Devine devine at iie.cnam.fr
Wed Jan 1 12:49:09 PST 2003

> I'm not going to rehash the entire discussion again (if you really want to
> know I can send you the lfs-dev mbox file, the discusson spans a few months
> all together). It all started with shutdown problems where /etc/mtab
> contained stale information upon the next boot and mount didn't want to mount
> something it thought was already mounted.

There is also another advantage of the /proc/mounts symlink:
my scsi disk shows random disk failures (a problem related to
the scsi queue), and then the kernel forces a read-only remount
of the filesystem, because it thinks it contains errors (although
the filesystem is actually clean).

So then I have to issue the command "mount -o remount,rw /",
and it works perfectly fine with /etc/mtab pointing to /proc/mounts,
since the information is accurate; however with a 'real' /etc/mtab
updated by mount, the command fails since the filesystem is still marked
as 'rw' in /etc/mtab, and mount considers the job is already done, and
the only solution left is to reboot.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org