Fwd: Re: symlink to /proc/mounts

Andries.Brouwer at cwi.nl Andries.Brouwer at cwi.nl
Wed Jan 1 13:37:53 PST 2003

    From gerard at linuxfromscratch.org  Wed Jan  1 22:05:38 2003

    since you're not subscribed to the list I'll forward you the messages
    that other ppl didn't CC you  in.

    Subject: Re: symlink to /proc/mounts
    Date: January 1, 2003 01:49 pm
    From: Christophe Devine <devine at iie.cnam.fr>
    To: lfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org

    There is also another advantage of the /proc/mounts symlink:
    my scsi disk shows random disk failures (a problem related to
    the scsi queue), and then the kernel forces a read-only remount
    of the filesystem, because it thinks it contains errors (although
    the filesystem is actually clean).

    So then I have to issue the command "mount -o remount,rw /",
    and it works perfectly fine with /etc/mtab pointing to /proc/mounts,
    since the information is accurate; however with a 'real' /etc/mtab
    updated by mount, the command fails since the filesystem is still marked
    as 'rw' in /etc/mtab, and mount considers the job is already done, and
    the only solution left is to reboot.

Mount has no opinion at all about whether something is mounted
read-only or read-write, and it has never had such an opinion.
This is a misunderstanding by the author of this letter, I think.

Andries

# mount -o remount,rw /
# mount -o remount,rw /

no complaints