New package installation page format

Seth W.Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Wed Jan 1 18:44:40 PST 2003

Timothy Bauscher <timothy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 06:43:27PM -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> >
> > Timothy's command generator doesn't translate text into commands. If there is
> > no explicit ln command in the book, the generator won't pick it up. Unless
> > Timothy wants to write some kind of text parser and we'd have to stick to a
> > specific format like "create the symlink foo pointing to bar". That could be
> > translated into an "ln -sf foo bar" command. But that's going a little too
> > far I think.
>
> Perhaps <newbie>ln -sf foo bar</newbie> tags in the XML?

I look at it like this: Which is more efficient for anyone (newbie
or not) to read:

1) Create a symlink in the root binary directory from sh to bash.

2) ln -s bash /bin/sh

The second, the command, wastes less of the reader's effort. That
tools understand it, too, is an added bonus.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org