New package installation page format

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 1 19:36:59 PST 2003

On January 1, 2003 08:28 pm, Ian Molton wrote:
> By all means explain the patch, but whats the reason to intersperse
> explanation and commands?

It simply flows more naturally this way. You explain what's going to happen
next, then you do it. I've come to realize this is a better method of
teaching people, especially when its their first time. And no, I don't
consider this hand-holding of newbies.

I've taught unix system admin exam material before (it was a Sun Solaris
System Admin I course) and I've tried both methods. First I'd explain all up
front what would happen, then give the commands and whatever else they
needed. It often confused people too much, or I gave all the material firs,
then explained it step by step which worked a little better. The best
reception was when you break a task up in smaller chunks, explain a bit, do a
bit, explain a bit more, do a bit more.

But I believe, Ian, we've already covered this. You simply don't like the new
layout. I keep saying it's a better teaching aid. You don't agree with me, I
try to explain it with other words, you still don't agree, I try yet again. I
think at this point it's best left alone. We just differ, which is fine, but
rehashing the same points over and over again will not help anything.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org