New package installation page format

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Jan 1 19:59:30 PST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 03:40:57 +0000 (UTC)
gerard at linuxfromscratch.org (Gerard Beekmans) wrote:

> On January 1, 2003 08:28 pm, Ian Molton wrote:
> > By all means explain the patch, but whats the reason to intersperse
> > explanation and commands?
>
> It simply flows more naturally this way. You explain what's going to
> happen next, then you do it. I've come to realize this is a better
> method of teaching people, especially when its their first time. And
> no, I don't consider this hand-holding of newbies.

I dont think it is, and I do think its hand holding the newbies [too
much].

> I've taught unix system admin exam material before (it was a Sun
> Solaris System Admin I course) and I've tried both methods. First I'd
> explain all up front what would happen, then give the commands and
> whatever else they needed. It often confused people too much

Oh come now. this is a book, not a lecture. people can scan up a few
lines /if/ they get lost in the text.

> But I believe, Ian, we've already covered this. You simply don't like
> the new layout. I keep saying it's a better teaching aid.

Correct, I dont like it. but just because /you/ happen to like it doesnt
make it a better teaching method either.

I know what its like. I've made what I thought was a wonderful change in
some of my programs, only to find people say 'god thats awful, whyd you
do that?'

:-)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org