symlink to /proc/mounts

Bill's Linux From Scratch Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Jan 2 06:33:04 PST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Christophe Devine wrote:

> Bill Maltby - LFS Related <lfsbill at wlmcs.com> wrote:
>
> > OMG! Should not be. [...]
>
> Well, I have the following model:
>
> - from dmesg:
>
> scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.4
>         <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter>
>         aic7880: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/253 SCBs
>
> - from /proc/pci:
>
>   Bus  0, device  18, function  0:
>     SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7881U (rev 0).
>       IRQ 10.
>       Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=8.
>       I/O at 0xe800 [0xe8ff].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xef000000 [0xef000fff].
>
> Do you think patching the kernel would make things better ?
> If so, I'm _really_ interested by those patches :-)

Can't say if it will make things better. But your adapter is the same
as mine and the patch did improve some occasional messages I had. However,
it could not cure the crappy Quantum Fireball (IIRC), which eventually
died totally.

    http://opensource.adaptec.com/Linux_drivers.html

and this is where they used to have the patches (short interesting stuff
still)

    http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux

> I know the disk is not faulty because some time ago, on another
> machine (with another SCSI controller, not an Adaptec btw), it did
> work just fine. And now, the kernel sometimes fails to read a sector,
> which results in read-only remounts, or often this:
>
> $ ls -A /tmp
> /bin/ls: Input/output error
> $ ls -A /tmp
> .X0-lock  .X11-unix
>
> I get the following message in my kernel log:
>
> SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 8000002
> Current sd08:02: sns = 70  1
> ASC=5d ASCQ=32
> Raw sense data:0x70 0x00 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0e 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x5d 0x32 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
>  I/O error: dev 08:02, sector 85968

I don't have the knowledge to interpret the above. Just remember that over
time, even the highest quality HDs can develop some new bad sectors. You
might want to run the verify (read-only if you want to save anything) on
the disk. Your Adaptec BIOS has this facility (ctl-a?).

Also quality of cable, connectors and the transfer rate set in your
Adaptec BIOS can affect things, sometimes leading to intermittent errors.
You might want to review your Adaptec BIOS settings. You may have some
Googling ahead of you.