Glibc-2.3.1 install typo?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 2 12:21:06 PST 2003

On January 2, 2003 10:13 am, Cameron Thorne wrote:
> Greg mentioned in an post a while back that the first glibc install
> should have echo "cross-compiling = yes" > configparms and the second
> should have echo "cross-compiling = no" > configparms.

I think you got things a bit mixed up. Are you maybe refering to this email:

> I think you're missing something :)
>
> When recompiling glibc inside the chroot *when another glibc is already
> installed* the configure corrctly determines we are not cross-compiling.
>
> Scenario:-
>
> - 1st compile of glibc, cross-compiling = yes, time zone data does NOT get
>    installed.

>  - 2nd compile of glibc, cross-compiling = no, the time zone data does
>    get installed
>
> Greg

Greg didn't mean that those are what we are supposed to use. Those are what
Glibc automatically detects. In all cases we must run with "cross-compiling =
no", but during the first installation Glibc defaults to "cross-compiling =
yes" so we must override that option. The second time Glibc does the right
thing and defaults to "cross-compiling = no" which is good so we don't need
to take any action.

So, what the book currently contains is the way it should be. Unless I'm
totally mistaken what Greg meant, but I doubt it (correct me if I'm wrong
though).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org