LFS book 4.1 cvs .. 1 January

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 2 12:24:17 PST 2003

On January 2, 2003 04:23 am, Chris Lingard wrote:
> I suggest that glibc-2.3.1.patch is split; one compulsory, to replace the
> sed; the other for the __ctype hack.  Those using a clean glibc-2.3.1
> would just use the perl/root patch, and would not need to build glibc
> again.

That's already planned. I'll work on that most likely today, where I'll also
take other patches and split them up into individual patches. And of course a
note will be added to the (first) Glibc installation when to use and when not
to use the patch. And the second installation is still necesarry though (or
better: highly recommended) because there are other issues like it compiling
some hard core ELF stuff differently due to missing Glibc during the first
time.

> lilo, (or grub)
>
> There is no method to boot an LFS system, when built from a base system
> running from a CD.  I posted some words about this, lfs-book 19.12.02.
> I would like to see some mention of running  lilo -C  in the chroot
> environment.

Yes, once upon a time running lilo inside chroot was not recommended. But
issues have been solved since then. But we're going Grub anyways so we'll
have to rewrite the entire section anyways. Running Grub from within chroot
is not a problem as I've found out (I have done tons of tests already and
none have failed so far).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org