Glibc-2.3.1 install typo?

J_Man jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Jan 2 12:45:02 PST 2003

Cameron Thorne wrote:
> Also.. I am unsure if the cross-compiling thing is correct or not?
>
> Greg mentioned in an post a while back that the first glibc install
> should have echo "cross-compiling = yes" > configparms and the second
> should have echo "cross-compiling = no" > configparms.
>
> But the first install in the CVS says *no*, and the second is blank
> (which is fine because it should automatically detect that we are not
> cross-compiling the second time).  Which *should* it be?
>
> -- Cameron

The book is correct as it is written.  Background on the problem:

Glibc's configure tries to build a test program to see if the system is
cross-compiling or not.  But, because glibc is not yet installed, the
system can't compile the test, so it defaults to a cross-compiler,
meaning certain things (like the time-zone info) is not installed.  By
over-riding the cross-compile dirctive, we ensure the zone info gets
installed.

The second time, it will properly detect that we're not cross-compiling,
so we can leave this alone.

Hope this helps!

Jeremy

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org