LFS book 4.1 cvs .. 1 January

J_Man jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Jan 2 12:47:33 PST 2003

Chris Lingard wrote:
> glibc-2.3.1
>
> The book does not allow for those building from a base system that has a
> clean glibc-2.3.1.  It seems illogical to taint the library wih the
> __ctype stuff; only to have to build it again.  Some patch is needed to
> replace the sed things for perl/root.
>
> I suggest that glibc-2.3.1.patch is split; one compulsory, to replace the
> sed; the other for the __ctype hack.  Those using a clean glibc-2.3.1
> would just use the perl/root patch, and would not need to build glibc
> again.

Chris - IIRC, the plan is to eventually split up all the patches for
everything into individual.  This is simply waiting on the updating to
the DTD stuff to allow for it, from what I've understood.

> lilo, (or grub)
>
> There is no method to boot an LFS system, when built from a base system
> running from a CD.  I posted some words about this, lfs-book 19.12.02.
> I would like to see some mention of running  lilo -C  in the chroot
> environment.

I've always been able to run lilo direct from the chroot enviornment
without a -C flag without problems...same with grub.  But, maybe that's
just my own luck.

Jeremy

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org