Splitting up the 'mega' patches

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 2 16:07:02 PST 2003

On January 2, 2003 04:41 pm, Mark Lee wrote:
> Is it possible to put comments in the patch files themselves? It would be
> really nice if the patches were self-documented. Maybe this isn't possible
> (I don't know enough about patches so I apologize if I'm wasting your
> time).

I was thinking about the same thing today. We could keep the descriptions in
the book less technical and simply refer to the patch file for the nitty
gritty details. As you may have seen, I updated the Glibc libnss patch in the
book but it doesn't go into too much detail and isn't totally clear yet. I
didn't want to write an essay on the issue.

Now, you can't put comments in a diff file like you do normally in files (by
starting a line with a # character). Patch will take everything as-is and
will try to patch the file by inserting that kind of data. #'s at the
beginning of a line don't mean much, patch will just try to find lines that
start with that.

So, the alternative is to have every patch create a README.lfs file in which
we can dump the detailed explanations, we can even go into some detail with
coding issues why things are done the way they are (instead of saying 'fixes
a compilation problem in regards to duplicate variables).

The book, in turn, would then have a short explanation and "For more
information read the README.LFS file which which the patch created. Or open
the patch file in your favorite editor and read through it before applying
it". Or something along these lines.

In the mean time while people give feedback on how good or stupid an idea this
is, Mark Lee, you can start writing such explanations and be as detailed as
you can be. I'll take your blurbs and add them to the patches.

I haven't forgotten about your previous emails in which you started explaning
patches, etc. Can you collect the things you already wrote before and
submitted and combine them with this new stuff you're going to write. Then
please combine it all in one email (easier for me to deal with then).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org