New package installation page format

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 2 16:37:38 PST 2003

On January 2, 2003 05:30 pm, Ian Molton wrote:
> why not have a 'command summary'. this could contain the whole block of
> commands in cutnpasteable form, perhaps at the end of the page?

While it's not a bad idea (none of the ideas are really bad) but does it
matter much, in the end, if you copy-n-paste from the book into your shell,
or run /usr/src/lfscmd/glibc-2.3.1 ?

Nobody copy-n-pastes for any other reason than to dump it to a shell to run it
all (at least I can't see any other reasons. cat'ing lfscmd/glibc-2.3.1 is
like copy-n-pasting if you need to append it to your own ALFS profiles for
example and easier at it). Running a premade shell script shouldn't be much
of an issue. It's less work too, don't have to use the mouse, switch from
browser window to a command prompt window

Oh, a command block at the end means we have to keep two sets of commands in
sync. Unless we process the xml somehow, extract all commands in one
package-inst.xml file, put it all together with &&'s at the end of each line
then dump that into the HTML file that's being generated.

Right now this is a major pain to do. With new XML structure we can have our
own stylesheet probably do this relatively easy. But with Docbook I don't
even want to begin to think about it.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org