Package Categories

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 3 08:41:56 PST 2003

James Robertson wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I started to provide a glimpse of what I was thinking for package
>categories here:
>
>http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2003/01/0000.html
>
>I have gone one full pass through the packages and have tried to place them
>in well defined categories.  Gerard and I spoke off list and he likes the
>idea.  Here goes.... (see attached)

Are all these categories neccessary? Once something is categorized,
discussions start on why not include Package X in Category Y and why is
Package A not in Category B, but Package C is. I had this same problem
with categorization when I started using MSB's pkg-user hint, since each
package is unique in some sense. Just look at the number of times Gentoo
has recategorized packages!

Instead the above information and the rationale behind why the package
is required and how it may be useful can be added to the description
portion in form of sentences.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/