Splitting up the 'mega' patches

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Fri Jan 3 11:24:18 PST 2003

Alas! Mark Lee spake thus:
> On Thursday 02 January 2003 16:29, you wrote:
> > Two mega patches remain in the book currently: Glibc and Man.
>
> Is it possible to put comments in the patch files themselves? It would be
> really nice if the patches were self-documented. Maybe this isn't possible (I
> don't know enough about patches so I apologize if I'm wasting your time).

I've heard that patch has this really clever feature where you can
prepend any text you want to the beginning of the patch file, and patch
just ignores it all right up to the "patch header" that tells it where
the patch itself starts. I've never tried it, though, so I can't say for
sure if it's true. I doubt it's possible to intersperse comments within
the patch, though.

--
Rob Park
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rbpark