Splitting up the 'mega' patches

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 3 11:24:35 PST 2003

Rob Park wrote:

>Alas! Mark Lee spake thus:
>

>>Is it possible to put comments in the patch files themselves? It would be
>>really nice if the patches were self-documented. Maybe this isn't possible (I
>>don't know enough about patches so I apologize if I'm wasting your time).
>>

>I've heard that patch has this really clever feature where you can
>prepend any text you want to the beginning of the patch file, and patch
>just ignores it all right up to the "patch header" that tells it where
>the patch itself starts. I've never tried it, though, so I can't say for
>sure if it's true. I doubt it's possible to intersperse comments within
>the patch, though.

Yep, the first part is true, you can have text before the patch begins.

One possible way to incorporate comments inline is to use the comment
style of the language of the file being patched. e.g. if patching a C
file, add comments within "/* */". But I don't think that level of
commenting is required.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/