Package Categories

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Jan 3 13:03:34 PST 2003

> Are all these categories neccessary? Once something is categorized,
> discussions start on why not include Package X in Category Y and why is
> Package A not in Category B, but Package C is. I had this same problem
> with categorization when I started using MSB's pkg-user hint,

And you have no idea how long I brooded till I came up with the categories
suggested in the hint, and I'm still not happy with them.

Let's take one concrete example from the suggested list for LFS:

* Developing Software
* Compiling Software

Does this distinction make even the slightest bit of sense? Does GCC not
belong in "Developing Software" although I sure as hell use it to do just
that. What about Vim? A lot of people use it for nothing but software
development. And where does make belong? I think it fits neither category.

Categories are more confusing than helpful. If you want to add
meta-information, use a list of keywords. One category per package simply
does not make sense (especially for packages that contain multiple
programs).

MSB

--
goto doesn't screw up programs.