A couple of platform compatibility issues...

Kelledin kelledin+LFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Sun Jan 5 00:02:55 PST 2003

1) See here:

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-dev/2002/07/0174.html

We figured out why zlib does things the way it does, but we never
really committed a proper build method to the book.  The proper
method would be to build zlib with the following commands:

CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fPIC" \
./configure --prefix=/usr --shared &&
make LIBS="libz.so.1.1.4 libz.a" &&
make LIBS="libz.so.1.1.4 libz.a" install &&
mv /usr/lib/libz.so.* /lib &&
ln -sf ../../lib/libz.so.1 /usr/lib/libz.so &&
cp zlib.3 /usr/share/man/man3

2) See here:

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2002/11/0048.html

Essentially findutils should always be compiled with
-D_GNU_SOURCE stuck in the CPPFLAGS.  This applies to both Ch. 5
and Ch. 6.

These fixes don't do much (anything?) for or against x86.  They
_do_ fix issues with other architectures, though, and adding
them to LFS-CVS is pretty trivial.  AFAIK the only reason they
haven't been added is just pure inertia; I decided to give the
issue a little push. ;)

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"