New glibc sections

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun Jan 5 23:07:23 PST 2003

I took a look at the new version of the book in cvs and would like to
offer the following observations:

The user is directed to to compile glibc twice, even if starting form a
glibc 2.3.x or higher system in order to get the linux threads man
pages.  Perhaps this could be improved.  As the linux distros improve,
or users build from this version of lfs, they really should tell the
user how to avoid a second glibc build.

The builder is not reminded to remove and re-extract the glibc sources
in the second build.  Perhaps that's not necessary and only the
glibc-build needs to be cleared.  In any case, I believe adding the rm
instructions, at least in textual form, will avoid many lfs support
problems.

I also have a question.  If the user only wants English (en_US),are
either the install-locales or localedef commands necessary?  I suspect
that in this case the entire command can be omitted.  Does anyone know
if this is the case.  If it is, it ought to be mentioned in the first
glibc section.

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org