New glibc sections

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 6 08:21:54 PST 2003

On January 6, 2003 12:07 am, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> The user is directed to to compile glibc twice, even if starting form a
> glibc 2.3.x or higher system in order to get the linux threads man
> pages.  Perhaps this could be improved.  As the linux distros improve,

The same old problem remains: you need perl installed.

But on a side note, even if you started from a Glibc-2.3.x system already,
it's still technically sound to install Glibc a second time. The libnss issue
isn't the only reason for reinstalling. Glibc mis-detects a number of things
that are most likely not an issue, but we're not 100% sure of that either.
Ie: it mis-detecting the size of a long double (it was a long double right)
and some other things like ELF code gets compiled differently (all because
Glibc hasn't been installed yet when we install Glibc the first time).

> The builder is not reminded to remove and re-extract the glibc sources
> in the second build.  Perhaps that's not necessary and only the
> glibc-build needs to be cleared.  In any case, I believe adding the rm
> instructions, at least in textual form, will avoid many lfs support
> problems.

We assume that don't we. Whenever you finished installing a package, you
remove the source trees. The second Glibc installation is no exception there.

> I also have a question.  If the user only wants English (en_US),are
> either the install-locales or localedef commands necessary?  I suspect
> that in this case the entire command can be omitted.  Does anyone know
> if this is the case.  If it is, it ought to be mentioned in the first
> glibc section.

It ought to be. I generally don't install any locales on my system because I'm
quite happy with the default English.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org