Some files are installed by two packages (yet)

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 6 08:29:13 PST 2003

Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> >Some programs/files are installed twice (one overwriting other) by
> >different packages, like sh-utils did before with hostname program. Here
> >is the list (this may have some errors; my method isn't so accurate ;)):
>
> Has been discused many times on this list. The one installed later is
> the one to use.

This mean that the last installed program is the best one? So there's no
need of a sh-utils-hostname patch, as net-tools will overwrite this.

I understand now why man-pages overwrite the original man pages of some
packages. But... what about the programs? I suggest:

1) make patches to each package and disable the undesired duplicated
package (like shutils-hostname patch);

2) OR put all packages in a order that the desired program/file
overwrite the old one.

IMO, the (1) option is more "hard" to do, but is the best, because the
order of the packages can change without worry about this.

--
Anderson Lizardo
*lizardo.sytes.net*
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org