Some files are installed by two packages (yet)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 6 09:18:14 PST 2003

On January 6, 2003 09:29 am, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> This mean that the last installed program is the best one? So there's no

Actually often, it doesn't matter which one you use because both versions are
pretty much the same.

> need of a sh-utils-hostname patch, as net-tools will overwrite this.

But, hostname is different. The sh-utils version of hostname is definitely not
a good enough one. It doesn't have enough options and features that are
required which are provided by the net-tools version. So if you ever were to
install sh-utils again, you'd loose a good hostname. XFree86 wouldn't start
anymore for example because it depends on features in net-tool's hostname
(like the -f option to get the FQDN, not just the hostname)

> IMO, the (1) option is more "hard" to do, but is the best, because the
> order of the packages can change without worry about this.

Our policy is this: we install man-pages first because it does provide
man-pages which are otherwise missing. But, we want to install packages as
the developers intended (whenever possible, some exceptions (ie: patches) do
apply). This includes their own man pages and info pages preference. It's not
up to us to decide that man pages are bad and info pages good. But it's not
up to us to decide the other way around either. So we just stick with a
default package installation. It's up to you to decide what you want to do.

If  you prefer the man-pages files over the original package's man pages, then
simply install the man-pages package at the end of chapter 6 again.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org