New glibc sections

Jeremy Herbison herbie at autobotcity.net
Mon Jan 6 15:41:04 PST 2003

"Bruce Dubbs" <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote in message
news:3E192B2B.8050906 at swbell.net...
> I took a look at the new version of the book in cvs and would like to
> offer the following observations:
>
> The user is directed to to compile glibc twice, even if starting form a
> glibc 2.3.x or higher system in order to get the linux threads man
> pages.  Perhaps this could be improved.  As the linux distros improve,
> or users build from this version of lfs, they really should tell the
> user how to avoid a second glibc build.
>
> The builder is not reminded to remove and re-extract the glibc sources
> in the second build.  Perhaps that's not necessary and only the
> glibc-build needs to be cleared.  In any case, I believe adding the rm
> instructions, at least in textual form, will avoid many lfs support
> problems.
>
> I also have a question.  If the user only wants English (en_US),are
> either the install-locales or localedef commands necessary?  I suspect
> that in this case the entire command can be omitted.  Does anyone know
> if this is the case.  If it is, it ought to be mentioned in the first
> glibc section.
>
>   -- Bruce
>
> --

Actually to completely disable native language support you can ignore the
locale stuff in glibc, remove the localedef program completely,
pass --disable-nls to all the packages, and skip gettext entirely. I usually
do that for my own system. One of the programs needs a preprocessor flag
commented out as well (can't remember which), but this one actually tells
you that during the ./configure.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org