install-log .. package control

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Wed Jan 8 05:24:52 PST 2003

Alas! Jasper Stein spake thus:
> Rob Park wrote:
>
> >No, it's definitely a bad idea -- what package manager would we choose?
> >Let the user decide for himself, the book should stay out of it.
>
> Well? The book makes other decisions too. LILO v. GRUB, MAKEDEV v.
> devfs, vim vs. nano, etcetera.

That's because the goal of the book is to produce a system that is
capable of producing itself. Without a bootloader, it can't boot, and
you can't make it with itself. Without the devices in /dev, you have the
same problem.

You don't need a package manager to build LFS, so it should not be in
the book.

--
Rob Park
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rbpark