binutils

Matthew Reppert repp0017 at umn.edu
Fri Jan 10 11:21:05 PST 2003

Hi,

Is there a reason we don't use the H. J. Lu binutils releases in the book?
I know that (at least) Debian and SuSE use them (but am told that really
all
major distributions do), and IIRC Alan Cox mentioned on lkml that they have
some subtle fixes for Linux on various archs. The Changelogs mention mips
and alpha in this respect. They also seem to be preferred according to the
kernel documentation (Documentation/Changes mentions that you need
2.9.5.0.25 or greater).

The current version is 2.13.90.0.16 ...
ftp://ftp.XX.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/binutils/
(where XX is your country code)

The only mention a quick Google through the archives gave was Greg Scafer
saying something in passing about how we should be doing this mid-2002-ish,
so I'm kind of curious :)

Matt

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org