Perception of LFS

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Jan 12 06:55:25 PST 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, James Iwanek wrote:

> having read through the whole thread he definantly means LFS the book
> he even references our build order. when he mentioned the toolchain order he
> calles it CLEARLY DEFINED so i think he means its more of a problem with
> variants on the chosen scheme - so i dont think he was taking a shot at the
> book.
>
> -----
> Jay

 I agree, from memory (Alan's original comment burnt so much I won't
forget it) he had problems with people who followed the book but didn't
get it right, although that's not how he put it.

 If you use RH, all this is taken care of before you get to build a
kernel (we're talking aboout "bug reports" on the kernel mailing
list). I believe the original post on the l-k thread was from someone
building LFS whose kernel had problems, and who assumed it must be a
kernel problem - I don't remember seeing any postings from him on
lfs-support.

 But the nature of lfs users is that we try to do things our own
way, so I don't think there is much we can do short-term to improve
perception.

Ken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org