Perception of LFS

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun Jan 12 10:07:38 PST 2003

Billy O'Connor wrote:

>gschafer at zip.com.au (Greg Schafer) writes:
>

>>Alan Cox says:
>>
>>"I get so many weird never duplicated reports from linux from scratch people
>>that don't happen to anyone else that I treat them with deep suspicion.
>>Especially because it sometimes goes away if they instead build the same
>>kernel with Debian/Red Hat/.. binutils/gcc"
>>

>If Alan  Cox doesn't want  kernel bug reports  from LFS users,  I'd be
>more than happy to oblige him, and  not send any.  I get the same sort
>of  "raised eyebrow" response  from Gnome  developers, who  don't know
>anything about LFS.  My personal policy in this regard is to reproduce
>any bug I find on Debian, etc., before sending it in.

I don't read lfs-support so there may be some issues that I don't know
about.  However, I question why lfs people are sending reports to Alan
without discussing it on our lists.  I would think the main problems
would occur in the context of blfs-support or lfs-dev.  I don't recall
any discussions about kernel problems on those lists.

The point is that lfs users should have the maturity to try to sort out
problems on our lists before going to the source developers.  We owe it
to them to at least have a reproducible problem before whining to them.
 I understand the reasons behind the type of comment expressed above.
The lfs community should only forward well researched and discussed
problems.

Its about credibility.

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org