Perception of LFS

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Sun Jan 12 16:23:18 PST 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:40:57 +0000 (UTC)
matthias at winterdrache.de (Matthias Benkmann) wrote:

> Well, he does have a point. Just look at the stuff we get on
> lfs-support, look at the people who are building LFS. If I'm not
> mistaken, "recompile gcc and/or binutils" is a very frequent answer on
> lfs-support.

Well, if they built with '-O3 -useeverytrickinthebook' then yes, but for
a normal -O2 gcc / glibc build, I think that LFS is likely to provide
more solid results than most distros.

besides, these people should concentrate on FIXING things so that
miscompiles become rarer, not bitching when someone broke their
toolchain doing something that SHOULD have worked, but didnt due to
(more often than not) a GCC optimisation related bug...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org