Perception of LFS

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Sun Jan 12 19:06:03 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 02:41:07 +0000 (UTC)
no.spam at allowed.here (Dagmar d'Surreal) wrote:

> Hey now, in the case of gcc and glibc (the two packages where playing
> with CFLAGS is near to suicide and people STILL do it) the
> instructions that come with the source code are *very* explicit about
> not screwing around with compiler flags.  Glibc even gives a set of
> optimizing flags which they know to work, apparently in hopes of
> preventing people from coming up with screwy ones of their own.  It
> simply doesn't seem fair to ask the developers to spend time working
> up ways to prevent people from deliberately miscompiling their code
> when just telling people flat out"doing x will break this" can
> accomplish the same task.

This is true - the glibc developers want to write correct C, and so they
arent the right people to file the bug reports with. its GCC that they
should go to, and I think the GCC developers (personally) are far to lax
about fixing thinks like -O3 etc.

The glibc team, too, since so closely tied to gcc, should probably get
mor ein the habit of forwarding bugreports, and perhaps being politer to
misguided souls...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org