GCC Chapter 6 Question

Jim Gifford jim at jg555.com
Sun Jan 12 23:51:12 PST 2003

I ran into a problem after I completed LFS 20030110 version. After I
compeleted the installation and booted up, I tried to compile additional
packages that I needed on my system, I kept getting parse errors from
stdio.h file.

Here is what I found during my investigations.

stdio.h file was in two places. /usr/include
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/include

The /usr/include was not modified, but the other stated, was modified by
gcc.

So I tried re-compiling my programs again after I removed the stdio.h file
that was in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/include and they all
compiled with no issues.

The reason this file gets modified is because glibc is installed before gcc,
which gives gcc the oportunity to modify the file.

Maybe we should change the command for the gcc install in chapter 6 to
make install-no-fixedincludes or make sometime of note to the faq about this
problem.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org