Perception of LFS

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Mon Jan 13 01:58:57 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:06:03 +0000 Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> I think the GCC developers (personally) are far to lax
> about fixing thinks like -O3 etc.

Well, GCC, just as any other open source project is developed by 2 groups:

a) Volunteers who do only what they're interested in.

b) Employees of certain companies that do only what the company needs.

You can't blame group a), because they give you what you pay them for and
you can't blame group b), because their responsibility lies with their
employers. Tough, but that's how open source works. I've experienced this
myself several times. When I wanted a working simpleinit I had to fork my
own. When I wanted to have Gimp working in Ion (The Best WM) I had to do
it myself. When I wanted an XWPE that doesn't crash when you use watch
expressions, I had to fix it myself. If I think back, most significant
feature requests or bug reports I've made so far for open source projects
have had no effect. Open source is very much like proprietary software in
this respect. The only difference is that with open source, I can fix
things myself.

> The glibc team, too, since so closely tied to gcc, should probably get
> mor ein the habit of forwarding bugreports, and perhaps being politer to
> misguided souls...

Unfortunately, it seems like the common prejudice that programmers do not
have social skills does in fact apply to many of them.
And, if I may add, I am under the impression that the one thing most
programmers can deal with even worse than other people is bugs.

MSB

--
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org