Perception of LFS

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Mon Jan 13 02:18:09 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:59:18 +0000 (UTC)
matthias at winterdrache.de (Matthias Benkmann) wrote:

> > I think the GCC developers (personally) are far to lax
> > about fixing thinks like -O3 etc.
>
> Well, GCC, just as any other open source project is developed by 2
> groups:
>
> a) Volunteers who do only what they're interested in.
>
> b) Employees of certain companies that do only what the company needs.
>
> You can't blame group a), because they give you what you pay them for
> and you can't blame group b), because their responsibility lies with
> their employers.

I dont blame them for not fixing it. I blame them for bitching about
users using a feature which they have MADE AVAILABLE without any fancy
hacking required.

if gcc had a --with-dangerous-optimisations switch that you had to use
when compiling it in order to activate stuff like -O3, then I think the
problem with developers getting bugreports they arent interested in
would evapourate overnight.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org