Good morning from a newbie

David Barron David.Barron at sas.com
Mon Jan 13 07:08:55 PST 2003

I've just joined lfs, although I don't consider myself a newbie when it comes to Linux.  I've installed lots of different distributions, but this is the first time I've tried starting from the very beginning this way.  I've enjoyed the process for the most part.  I did have a couple of suggestions for the book, however.
First, I made a small addition to the "configure, make, make install" process which I found very helpful.  In general it went like this:
./configure &&
make &&
make install &&
echo 'Finished'

This was particularly helpful for me, especially during the longer "configure, make, make install" cycles.  If it showed Finished then I knew the process completed successfully.

Second, I ran a simple process after the first successful boot into LFS.

for dirname in /usr/src/*
  do
  cd $dirname
  make clean
  cd ..
done

This cleans up the source directories and gains a few megs of hard drive space back.

In general, the book is clear and well laid out.  My thanks to everyone who has contributed to it.

David Barron
Technical Support Analyst 4
SAS Institute Inc.
David.Barron at sas.com