coreutils release anytime soon?

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 13 14:09:10 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:42:04PM -0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Another heads up here:
>
> The ftp://ftp.gnu.org site has a readme file in the fileutils, sh-utils and
> textutils directories explaining that coreutils is the new name for the
> respective packages (apparently since Sept. 2002).  This would suggest to me
> that a release of coreutils is imminent, although looking at the
> announcement of the latest alpha version (4.5.4)
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils-announce/2002-12/msg00000.html it
> still seems as if they have a fair bit of work to do before a stable version
> will be available.  Maybe this is just a cunning plan to try and tempt
> people into testing their software for them?

FWIW, I've been using the 4.5.3 release far a while now and I don't have any
major problems with it. Debian have been including it in their unstable for
quite a while so they give it a pretty good hammering. The coreutils
maintainer is very receptive to good bug reports. I simply submitted the
patch that LFS uses to get sh-utils compiling statically (the bug was still
there in coreutils-4.5.53) and the next thing I know the bug is fixed and my
name is in the THANKS list. Quite uncalled for :-)

It really makes the package list a bit fair bit tidier (net loss of 2
packages). But the build commands end up a bit messy. Here is what I
currently have. Could prolly be tidied up:-

./configure --prefix=/usr &&
make &&
make install &&
mv -f /usr/bin/{basename,cat,date,echo,false,head} /bin &&
mv -f /usr/bin/{pwd,sleep,stty,su,test,true,uname} /bin &&
mv -f /usr/bin/chroot /usr/sbin &&
mv -f /usr/bin/{chgrp,chmod,chown,cp,dd,df,ln} /bin &&
mv -f /usr/bin/{ls,mkdir,mknod,mv,rm,rmdir,sync} /bin &&
ln -sf ../usr/bin/install /bin &&
ln -sf test /bin/[ &&
rm -f /usr/bin/groups

Greg