Linus vs. Ulrich (about the /usr/include symlinks)

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 13 14:20:00 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 08:58:27PM +0100, Antoine Leca wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am building LFS (using 4.0, French translation).
> Quite cool until now, so you should thanked for this.
>
> During the compilation of glibc (using my PMMX 200 64M, it takes obviously
> quite a while), I did the unbelievable, and actually read the doc!
> And I did find an instruction (in INSTALL) which clearly contradicts
> the book:
>
> >   An alternate tactic is to unpack the 2.2 kernel and run `make
> >config' as above.  Then rename or delete `/usr/include', create a new
> >`/usr/include', and make the usual symbolic links of
> >`/usr/include/linux' and `/usr/include/asm' into the 2.2 kernel
> >sources.  You can then configure glibc with no special options.

You left out the very next sentence which is prolly the point of the whole
paragraph:-

"This tactic is recommended if you are upgrading from libc5, since you need
to get rid of the old header files anyway."

And it does say that it's an alternate tactic anyway. So don't worry that it
appears to contradict the book.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org