Non-Official packages (was Re: Good morning from a newbie)

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 13 14:33:31 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 04:52:27PM -0500, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 04:09:32PM -0500, David Barron wrote:
> <snip cmmi && echo 'Finished'>
>
> > > Be careful. I noticed that some compilations return 0 at the end while
> > > there were compilation problems somewhere along the way (I don't remember
> > > if it was glibc or gcc, I'm sorry). I scripted my lfs-install, and it took
> > > a while to get that part of my software was not installed, since I totally
> > > missed the compilation error because it scrolled away.
>
> Findutils, in particular, exits without error when compilation
> fails.

Thats prolly coz findutils is an ancient piece of crap (package dated 1994).
FWIW, I've been using the findutils-4.1.7 (May 2001) from alpha.gnu.org for
quite a long time now without problem.

It more than likely also gets rid of the _GNU_SOURCE issue that was recenlty
mentioned. Kelledin should try this release on the 64 bit Alpha.

findutils-4.1.7 and tar-1.13.25 are the 2 most likely "non-official"
packages that Gerard should consider for inclusion in the book (of course
also along with grub)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org