Good morning from a newbie

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Jan 13 14:41:15 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Timothy Bauscher wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 04:09:32PM -0500, David Barron wrote:
> <snip cmmi && echo 'Finished'>
>
> > > Be careful. I noticed that some compilations return 0 at the end while
> > > there were compilation problems somewhere along the way (I don't remember
> > > <snip>

> Findutils, in particular, exits without error when compilation
> fails.
>
> > That's interesting.  I used this process for both of those packages
> > without any problem.

A lot of folks do something like the following. They place their
commands in the script and invoke the script something like this

   ./script | tee script.log

This screates a file, script.log and allows the scrolling of the stuff
to the screen at the same time. Then you can grep for 'Error' or '***'
and other stuff in the log (see man grep) to determine if there is an
error contained in the log file.

Of course, we all know that what we thought would work, works fine until
something we didn't expect (like a package that keeps going even when
errors have been encountered) happens. Creating a log and running a
little script that looks for errors at the end of the install is a wise
thnig to do.

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com