GCC Chapter 6 Question

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 13 14:57:04 PST 2003

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 11:51:12PM -0800, Jim Gifford wrote:
> I ran into a problem after I completed LFS 20030110 version. After I
> compeleted the installation and booted up, I tried to compile additional
> packages that I needed on my system, I kept getting parse errors from
> stdio.h file.
>
> Here is what I found during my investigations.
>
> stdio.h file was in two places. /usr/include
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/include
>
> The /usr/include was not modified, but the other stated, was modified by
> gcc.
>
> So I tried re-compiling my programs again after I removed the stdio.h file
> that was in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/include and they all
> compiled with no issues.
>
> The reason this file gets modified is because glibc is installed before gcc,
> which gives gcc the oportunity to modify the file.
>
> Maybe we should change the command for the gcc install in chapter 6 to
> make install-no-fixedincludes or make sometime of note to the faq about this
> problem.

Jim, I find this surprising. I can undertand it for the Ch 5 gcc where we
don't want the fixed headers from the host system polluting our chroot env.
But if it's also fscking up Ch 6 then the fixincludes process is truly brain
damaged and it really should be reported to the gcc folks as a bug.

Having said that, I currently do what you suggest and do not install the
fixed headers in Ch 6. I think it was Kelledin who originally suggested this
and I can confirm no problems with it whatsoever.

If this is a real problem then I'm sure other folks will see it. Are you
sure you didn't do anything wacky or non-standard to induce this problem?
Specific errors on which packages wouldn't compile might be helpful in
aiding investigation.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org