coreutils release anytime soon?

Seth W.Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Mon Jan 13 16:08:04 PST 2003

Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:42:04PM -0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> > Another heads up here:
> >
> > The ftp://ftp.gnu.org site has a readme file in the fileutils, sh-utils and
> > textutils directories explaining that coreutils is the new name for the
> > respective packages [....]
>
> FWIW, I've been using the 4.5.3 release far a while now and I don't have any
> major problems with it. Debian have been including it in their unstable for
> quite a while so they give it a pretty good hammering. The coreutils
> maintainer is very receptive to good bug reports. I simply submitted the
> patch that LFS uses to get sh-utils compiling statically (the bug was still
> there in coreutils-4.5.53) and the next thing I know the bug is fixed and my
> name is in the THANKS list. Quite uncalled for :-)

I've been using it on my iBook for a couple months, also without
problems. If the maintainer accepts patches readily it is likely that
coreutils has benefited from more testing than the parent packages.

> It really makes the package list a bit fair bit tidier (net loss of 2
> packages). But the build commands end up a bit messy. Here is what I
> currently have. Could prolly be tidied up:-
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr &&
> make &&
> make install &&
> mv -f /usr/bin/{basename,cat,date,echo,false,head} /bin &&
> mv -f /usr/bin/{pwd,sleep,stty,su,test,true,uname} /bin &&
> mv -f /usr/bin/chroot /usr/sbin &&

Seems to me installing chroot in /usr/bin is a bug in coreutils
since normal users can't use chroot at all.

> mv -f /usr/bin/{chgrp,chmod,chown,cp,dd,df,ln} /bin &&
> mv -f /usr/bin/{ls,mkdir,mknod,mv,rm,rmdir,sync} /bin &&
> ln -sf ../usr/bin/install /bin &&
> ln -sf test /bin/[ &&
> rm -f /usr/bin/groups

Anyone up for adding a --enable-essential-binaries="basename,cat,..."
switch to coreutils?

cheers,
Seth W. Klein

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org