Good morning from a newbie

Wouter Van Hemel wouter at pair.com
Mon Jan 13 16:15:17 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Bill's LFS Login wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 04:09:32PM -0500, David Barron wrote:
> > <snip cmmi && echo 'Finished'>

> > Findutils, in particular, exits without error when compilation
> > fails.
> >
> > > That's interesting.  I used this process for both of those packages
> > > without any problem.
>
> A lot of folks do something like the following. They place their
> commands in the script and invoke the script something like this
>
>    ./script | tee script.log

like this? :
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-chat/2003/01/0208.html

I know, I do that too. :)

> [...]

> Of course, we all know that what we thought would work, works fine until
> something we didn't expect (like a package that keeps going even when
> errors have been encountered) happens. Creating a log and running a
> little script that looks for errors at the end of the install is a wise
> thnig to do.

I also log the full commands executed by the script, so one can easily
check what command caused the error.

It's not a real problem for me, I just wanted to warn the original poster
about zero exit codes not always implying succesful compilation (sadly
enough).

Regards,

  wouter

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org