package names

kris at intra-team.de kris at intra-team.de
Tue Jan 14 00:20:32 PST 2003

ok, thanx a lot,
know i understand the "philosopy" :-)

kris

On 13 Jan 2003 at 13:18, Jasper Stein wrote:

kris at intra-team.de wrote:
> BUT: not all packeages extraxt in the tar name, eg vim:
> vim-6.1 -> vim61

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but packages are copied straight
from
their developers, who are also the ones putting the tarballs together.
They decide the name of the package (vim-6.1) and the name of the
directories to extract to (vim61). On the lfs site are just copies,
placed there for convenience, without tweaking.

So, yes, there's no reason to have these differences, but LFS is not the
right place to complain. We might change the names of the copied files
on the lfs site of course, but then people will wonder what the
difference is between package vim-6.1.tgz and vim61.tgz. Instead you
might ask the packagers politely not to introduce these inconsistencies
in future versions.

--

Jasper
--