package names

Wouter Van Hemel wouter at pair.com
Tue Jan 14 08:58:38 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 kris at intra-team.de wrote:

> Hi lfs'er

[...]

> BUT: not all packeages extraxt in the tar name, eg vim:
> vim-6.1 -> vim61
>
> There is no reason for it !!!! why we do not change the lfs-package names that all tar's
> work in the same way ?

Because it's the upstream package managers (i.e. the developers or
maintainers of the software) who make the tarballs. Rebuilding tarballs
would require a lot of work.

It's not so hard to find a way to automatically enter the tarball's
build directory - something like this always seems to work:

cd `tar tyf $* | tail -1 | sed -e 's#^./##' -e 's#/.*##g'`

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org