kernel man-pages size TBD

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 14 12:38:58 PST 2003

On January 11, 2003 09:30 am, Adam Trilling wrote:
> The Estimated Required Disk Space for the Linux-2.4.20 man pages is TBD in
> the latest CVS of the book.  The size is 170.4 MB:
>
> root:/usr/src/linux-2.4.20=>du -sh /usr/share/man/man9
> 1.4M    /usr/share/man/man9
> root:/usr/src/linux-2.4.20=>du -sh .
> 169M    .

I probably will end up writing 1.4 MB down instead of 170.4 MB. It is assumed
that when the Linux kernel is unpacked when installing the headers it's left
in place.

Well ok it's not really assumed. But there is a small note on the kernel
header installation page that it's perfectly allright to not remove the
/usr/src/linux directory after you're done with it. Whether or not people do
this is up to them. So I'll see which figure I'll use.

Or we can go with a better way of showing disk space usage: split up the
required temporary space and the actual permanently used storage space.
Splitting this up might help people decide where to build a package like
Glibc. The end product doesn't need 369 MB installed but right now nobody
really knows how much is actually needed. It's a guess work, hoping it'll all
still fit.

Just an idea.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org