Perception of LFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 14 13:21:41 PST 2003

On January 12, 2003 03:48 am, Greg Schafer wrote:

I've been away so I couldn't reply earlier. However, I think everything has
been said by now so there isn't much I can add to this.

Yes, I very much care how people perceive LFS. Especially when it concerns
Linux "authorities". It would be just great if LFS is viewed as a great thing
to use by those aforementioned well-known Linux developers. But I don't see
that happen any time soon. Such people have absolutely no time to spare to
even take a look at LFS, let alone set aside a few weeks working with it.
They'll all run back to their "package manager"-able distribution so they
spend less time updating their system and more time contributing to Linux in
general.

But I must agree that blaiming the entire LFS project/book for a handful of
users problems is too harsh. That's like Alan calling Redhat a piece of crap
because there are certain Redhat users who mess it up. But you won't see that
happen. Probably never.

All I cay say to this is "oh well". There just isn't anything that can be done
about it, other than handing out precompiled binaries. Maybe then Alan will
come to the conclusion that a by-the-book LFS system isn't so bad, as long as
you stick to the binaries. That also will not happen. Goes against the whole
LFS spirit/project.

Back to what we can do to enhance the perception. Other than writing the book
in technical sound way and not spreading around bullocks in the book I can't
think of anything else we can do. Market the book in hopes that famous Linux
people hear of it and actually try it out?

I don't think we'd attract the right kind of people. We don't try to make
money here or want the entire world to use LFS (though that latter part
wouldn't be bad of course). We just offer a solution to a possible need: the
"I need it from scratch" need. I rather have people "come to us" as it were
when they have a need and find us to fill that need.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org