Good morning from a newbie

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 14 13:32:50 PST 2003

On January 13, 2003 10:47 am, David Barron wrote:
> Like I said, they were just suggestions.

And they were appreciated.

However, for building LFS we have to assume certain things. One of those
assumptions is that you always remove the source directory when you're done
with it (with an exception of the Linux kernel for various (obvious) reasons
including you'll be needing it soon again anyway). We actually recommend
removing directories for a few reasons:

1) 'make distclean' does not always clean up properly. If you had a problem
compiling, went to fix your system and try to compile the package again you
might be surprised. Most distclean-able packages shouldn't have problems
anymore these days, but it's a safe practice to follow so you don't get
bitten in the back when you do come across a package with a non-functional
'make distclean'.

2) 'make distclean' is essentially the same as just unpacking the package.
Save a few large packages such as Glibc, GCC and the Linux kernel, unpacking
a package does not take that long. You might as well remove the dir and save
a whole lot of MBs of wasted space. It is (in my opinion) worth the few
seconds it takes to unpack a package when you actually need it.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org