XSLT processing

Seth W.Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Tue Jan 14 14:31:16 PST 2003

> On January 14, 2003 12:23 pm, Seth W.Klein wrote:
> >
> > my work on this LFS doctype. I have not even had any feedback on it.
>
> Maybe take a break now and we can pick it up soon?

If i get feedback, yes. Writing code is not a problem. Hours spent
porting messy DocBook to find issues and deciding how to resolve
those issues are.

> I've already budgeted a
> number of hours on my end to work on the XML revamp. I first want to get the
> textual changes all finished. Which mostly means rewriting the installation
> pages into a new format. I'm going to put more work into that today, not sure
> how far I will get. It's a long and tedious process for sure. Anyways when
> this is done, I'll need to work on the XML stuff, including stylesheets to
> convert to other formats, etc.
>
> I'd appreciate help later on if you will still be available at that time. I'm
> hoping to start on that next week, depending how long it'll take me to finish
> these rewrites.

Seems a waste to go to all that work rewriting the docbook only to
port it all to a new doctype. But i don't necesarily know what the
rewrites are accomplishing.

I've released lfsml 6 which contains part of
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~gerard/new-lfs-layout/glibc-v7.html
ported over to the new doctype.

That porting revealed a couple issues.

1) I'm considering tossing some information and eliminating the
   description element. If you look at where i stopped with the
   glibc-v7 port you'll part of why and you'll also see exactly
   what information would be lost.
   Any feedback on that decision?
2) How should things like download urls be handled. I'm thinking
   the existing system is overkill, but then you'll probably want
   some form of variable for things like versions. (I don't advise
   their use, but others do.) Whatever system we use, it must work
   for both LFS and BLFS.
   Again, any feedback?

If i get feedback i'll do a new release. Opinions from non-editors
are good too and might provoke a new release.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org