coreutils release anytime soon?

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Tue Jan 14 14:36:36 PST 2003

"Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee" <highos at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:20030114214932.GA22266 at linuxfromscratch.org...
> Yo,
>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 02:35:44PM -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > That'd be long to type out. How about this one: --enable-fhs-paths
>
> Hrm, doubtfull that will happen.  Wichmann had recently brough the issue
> up on the bug-coreutils lists (last month) when he was working on
> integrating coreutils into the LSB SI (Sample Implementation).
>
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2002-12/msg00013.html
>
> (Looks like the url referenced by Bob Proulx is no longer working, and i'm
> a little whacked right now, so hopefully someone else can post what he was
> referencing :)

Not sure whether this is what he was intending to point to but it mentions
FHS and comes from the Jan-2002 autoconf archives -
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2002-01/msg00007.html.  Anyway, as
Jesse said it looks as if the change will happen - he's essentially blaming
autoconf/automake tools so he won't fix it, and from the look of that thread
on the autoconf archive it looks as if they don't really care enough to do
anything about it.  What's a few extra mv commands between friends anyway?
In the current CVS we have 4 commands for fileutils, 7 for sh-utils and 4
for textutils (15 in total).  Greg's current command-set lists 11, so we're
still up by 4 even with all the mv's (can anyone tell I'm really bored???).
Yes all the mv commands look like crap and really shouldn't be required if
`make install` would just Do The Right Thing TM, but in the grand scheme of
things does it much matter (incidentally there are 3 mv commands in current
sh-utils instructions compared to 5 in Greg's coreutils stuff).

Regards,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org