xfree86 4.2.1 driver set ?

kris at intra-team.de kris at intra-team.de
Tue Jan 14 15:43:49 PST 2003

Hi lfs gurus,

i build up a automatical setupscript for x but faild choosing a card driver.
The xfree page says:

"In XFree86 3.3.6, several X servers are available; much hardware
uses the XF86_SVGA server, which has a set of driver modules
that are built into it at compile time. In other cases, X servers for
specific chips (or families of chips) are provided (such as
XF86_AGX, XF86_Mach64, etc.). In XFree86 4.2.1, there is only
one X server, called "XFree86", which can load driver modules at
runtime."

For my case of work, i just need a *basic* driver, such as the old
SVGA. So i suppose it is the easyest way to install a similur - if
exist ? (?) so whitch sould i get ?

or is there any possibility to find out the nearest or best driver to
use for the target system by fetching a variable or output of a test
script ? - just a thought !

Please help me - i hope i explain my problem write and you can
understand my bad english.

Thanx a lot
Kris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org