directories in /var/run disappear on boot?

Seth W.Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Tue Jan 14 19:04:12 PST 2003

Seth W.Klein <sk at sethwklein.net> wrote:
> > Alas! Jeremy Herbison spake thus:
> > >
> > > I am installing some daemons here, and I thought i would put the pid files
> > > (named.pid) for instance in /var/run/named because they run under the user
> > > "named". Low and behold for some reason this directory disappears on reboot!
> > > Um, I took a look at the rc scripts and haven't seen any explaination so
> > > far... Gerard? Anyone else?
>
> If you all test this patch, i'll submit it for addition to the bootscripts.

Reading through my blfs-support backlog i see this came up as early
as the end of November and probably earlier since Oliver Brakmann was
already complaing that it was a FAQ back then.

Jeremy reported that the patch "works smashingly". Can we get some
action on this please? I have reattached the patch for good measure.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein